RANT: STAR TREK AND CAPTAIN KATHRYN JANEWAY
Normally my rants are bad, right? Not today. Alright, so I’ve officially decided that today is the day I confess my love for Captain Kathryn Janeway. As happened to me with Star Wars, I wasn’t much of a Star Trek fan until I watched the newer Star Trek movies. I know, there are going to be a lot of Trekkies out there that get butthurt that I could be so blasphemous. They will probably condemn me to some exo-planet that only Trekkies know about where I will undoubtedly live in eternal torment. Get over it. Anyway. So, I saw the movies and I decided I wanted to know more of the story. I haven’t watched all the original movies, but I decided to get my fill of the television shows.
Now, I tried The Next Generation, and I’m having a really hard time getting into it, mainly because I can’t stand the Q, and they are an entire two episodes of the beginning. They frustrate me and piss me off and they are just so STUPID! (Do I hear more Trekkies whining?) I tried Enterprise, and while I didn’t mind it, my mother and I watched shows together, and she didn’t seem to like it that much. So I laid off the Star Trek shows. Mom and I loved watching sci-fi together, but we couldn’t find a good series to watch.
Then someone suggested I watch Voyager because I am a huge fan of strong female leads. You’d know this if you’ve ever read anything I’ve written. Strong female leads is where it’s at. So, I started watching Star Trek Voyager, and mom and I both agreed on it. We both loved it.
Namely, we both loved Captain Kathryn Janeway. We would wake up in the morning, and over breakfast we would discuss what we thought Janeway was going to do that night when we watched the shows. We always figured it was going to be something bold and heroic, because she’s a very bold and heroic Captain.
And someone you don’t want to piss off. Or threaten. She doesn’t respond well to threats.
But why do I love Kathryn Janeway?
- She’s Strong: She has to be one of the toughest female leads I’ve seen in a really long time. She doesn’t take shit, and she doesn’t mince words. If she has an issue with you, you know it.
- She has faults: Despite being strong, she does have her own faults, and it takes the entire crew sometimes to point this out to her. She often doesn’t see gray areas, she follows the Prime Directive as close as she can, until she’s told (and almost forced) to go against it. This makes her a well rounded character.
- She has heart: She’s a very compassionate character. She thinks of other people, and she doesn’t let her crew suffer alone.
- She’s just motherfuckin’ regal as shit: I mean, have you seen Kathryn Janeway perched on her
throneCaptains Chair? If you haven’t, here you go:
- She likes coffee: If she likes coffee, she has to be awesome. And before you think this is a silly internet meme just know that she ACTUALLY took her crew into a nebula so she could replicate more coffee. So yes, she really said this:
I still have yet to finish the series. It was something my mom and I watched every night before she passed, and while I can rant all I like about how much I love the show, I haven’t been able to watch it since. All in all, I would have to say that Captain Kathryn Janeway is the BEST Star Trek Captain ever. Granted, I haven’t watched the other series of Star Trek, but. . . .